Monday, March 4, 2019

USAF 39th ARRW / Det 15 / Jolly Green Patch

USAF 39th Air Rescue and Recovery Wing / Detachment 15 / Jolly Green Patch
The 39th ARRW had various detachments spread over the globe, & this is one that supported the US Space program & NASA. Det 15 was active between 1 Feb 1973 until 1 Jul 1978 operating the HH-3 Jolly Green Giant from nearby Patrick AFB. Circa 1978

Full scale mock ups were made at the NASA site so the rescue crews could practice drills to rescue the shuttle crews. (US National Archives)

Thanks for the info. to our friend and expert JGG collector AMR from The Jolly Green Giant Collection.

Got information about it? Got it? Want to sell or trade? Contact me below (comments) with your email address and I´ll get back to you ASAP! Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. I served honorably in Detachment 15th 39 ARRW from 1982-1985. I was a flight crew chief with many flight hours supporting the Radar sites in the Bahamas and the Space Shuttle launches. I am trying to contact anyone that served during the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know of 2 former members. Myself and another. We both work for Continental airlines at Orlando. Although as of this reply, it is now United Airlines and the other person, Tom, has retired and I will be retired in a few more months.

    ReplyDelete

I´m constantly searching for original challenge coins, moral and issued patches, badges and more. Please don´t hesitate to contact me if you are willing to sell something. I buy!