Thursday, August 9, 2012

USAF TAC Sea Survival School / Life Support Equipment Patch

USAF TAC Sea Survival School / Life Support Equipment Patch
Circa 1960

-¨This patch was worn by many life supporters during the Viet Nam era, including yours truly.  I wore it in the late 1960s while stationed at an ADC base (Perrin AFB, TX) and again in 1971 while stationed on Guam.  This is the patch that most of us remember as it is the one with the raft on the pilot’s right hand side.  The placement of the raft on the right side is viewed by a lot of life supporters as being technically incorrect as they believe the raft should have been on the left side.

The truth is, the raft can be on either side!  That’s because in the 1960s the B-52 and T-38 survival kits (drop in kits) had their deployed raft connected on the right hand side.  I'm not sure about the MD-1 or MB-2 kits, but the ML-4 kit also had its raft on the right side.  How about this, back in the mid to late 1970s the F-15 kit had its drop lanyard on the right side vice in the middle as it is today.  Many other survival kits however, had their raft drop down lanyard on the left hand side!  This includes the F-101, F-102, F-104, F-105, F-106, A-1E, F-4, OV-10, SR-71, and the U-2.   I know this for a fact because as you all know I collect old life support data, and in my collection are several old survival kit technical orders.  Today’s B-52 and T-38 kits have their drop lanyards on the left side as well.  It's strange that no one ever addressed this in our CDCs or the SKT!  Since the early survival kits had the drop lanyard on the right side, I believe the original patch was designed by someone in a B-52 or T-38 unit back in the 1960’s.

The patch below was cleaned up by a good friend of mine in the aerial photography business.  Notice that I had the color of the life raft changed to black and the drop lanyard put on the left side.   I started using this image on our identification badges at the first reunion in 1996.  I also use it in the banner at the top of our newsletters and on this web site.  This image is now widely used throughout the life support community.¨-

Special Thanks to Col (Ret) Bob Fessler and Mr. Bob McElwain for this article. For more info. please visit USAF Aircrew Life Support Retirees 

Got information about this item? Contact me below (comments) with your email address and I´ll get back to you ASAP! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I´m constantly searching for original challenge coins, moral and issued patches, badges and more. Please don´t hesitate to contact me if you are willing to sell something. I buy!